My sweet and wonderful friends are expecting their first baby just after the New Year. Mandy had been my best friend for longer than she hasn’t and I’ve known her husband for almost the same amount of time. I am so excited that are welcoming an addition to their family!
Which is why when her sister asked me to make a sock monkey cake topper for her shower cake, I wholeheartedly agreed. The cake was mainly meant to be decorative, a small 6 inch cake. Her sister, also a cake decorator, was doing the cupcakes.
I meant to have a tutorial for you, but when I build fondant critters, it’s a bit of trial and error and I stopped taking pictures about halfway through which is pretty useless to you.
These things I can tell you:
- I used Wilton fondant for the brown and white portions, coloring my some of the fondant brown.
- I bought red Fondarific fondant for the red portions, mostly because I hate dying fondant red-takes forever.
- His eyes are mini chocolate chips and his mouth is drawn on with a fine tip food writer.
- I cut out the dots for his cap with the tip end of my Wilton #5 piping tip.
- He’s all stuck together with about a million toothpicks. I used to use spaghetti instead of toothpicks when making fondant animals to make them totally edible, but nobody eats the fondant and this guy was going for a four hour car ride.