Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
Servings 8 people
- 1 yellow cake mix do not get a cake mix with pudding in the mix, I don’t know why, but it messes things up
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 sticks butter melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon to me this seemed like a lot of cinnamon, but it works
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a tube cake pan. (Flouring after you grease a cake pan is very important because it gives the cake something to grab as it climbs the sides of the pan).
- Mix topping ingredients together in a small bowl. I usually make a double batch of this topping because I like a lot of cinnamon. I typically use more than one batch but slightly less than a double. It's good on toast though.
- Mix ingredients for the cake batter together. The batter with be very thick. Take 1/2 the batter and spread it in the bottom of a greased and floured tube/angel food cake pan. Next sprinkle a healthy portion of the topping mixture over the cake batter in the pan. Then spread the remaining batter on top of the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Sprinkle more cinnamon/sugar on top of that last round of batter. Finally, you marbleize the batter so that there are swirls of delicious cinnamon and sugar in the final cake. I usually make s shaped swirls, but you can marbleize how ever you desire.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. Make sure a cake tester or toothpick come out clean, but you do not want to over bake. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.