Easy to make, soft, American style chocolate buttercream perfect for any cake or cupcakes.
- 1 sticks salted butter softened (1 pound)
- 8 cups powdered sugar (2 pound bag)
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water as needed
Beat butter on high speed until smooth.
Slowly beat in powdered sugar and cocoa powder. As mixture becomes thick, add in heavy cream.
If buttercream is still thicker than desired, add water while mixing, 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Don't add the whole amount of water at once. Just add it one tablespoon at a time. You think you are going to save time, you are not. You are going to have soupy buttercream on your hands.
- For chocolate buttercream with a little bit something extra, substitute strong brewed coffee for the water portion.
- For a peanut butter chocolate buttercream, use 1 cup of peanut butter in exchange for 1 cup of butter (2 sticks).