Oreo cookies and cream cupcakes are chocolatey cupcakes with an Oreo cookie baked right in! Top with a creamy white chocolate cream cheese frosting studded with more Oreo’s for the perfect “cookies and cream” experience!Jump to Recipe
My baby sister calls one day and tells me of this dreamy cupcake a co-worker brought in to work. She said it was a moist chocolate cupcake with an Oreo baked in the batter and a Cookies and Cream kind of frosting. “Can you make these?” she inquired.
“Do you have a recipe?”
Ok then. So I gave it a shot and these are it. Are they the same? She said pretty close, but at any rate they are a moist chocolate cupcake with a mound of creamy white chocolate and cream cheese frosting with a chocolate sandwich cookie baked into the batter and plenty of them chopped and folded into the frosting.
Ingredients needed for the Oreo Cupcakes:
- Chocolate Cake Mix-really you can use whatever flavor of cake mix you’d like here: white, yellow, red velvet but the chocolate cake mix with the chocolate Oreo is my favorite.
- Greek Yogurt-we’re using Greek Yogurt instead of oil as the fat portion of our cake. Greek Yogurt makes cakes nice and fluffy.
- Water-a little less than the cake mix calls for because our Greek Yogurt has some water in it too.
- Eggs-to bind everything together and create structure in our cupcake.
- Oreos-Far and away my preference here is Double Stuf but they make basically every flavor of Oreo possible so you do you.
Ingredients needed for the Oreo Buttercream:
- White chocolate-real white chocolate. Look for a white chocolate that has cocoa butter listed as one of the ingredients. There are a lot of things that seem like white chocolate, but without the cocoa butter, they are not real white chocolate. There is a difference in taste. I like to use Baker’s white chocolate bars and chop them up and melt them.
- Cream Cheese-softened. Full fat. This isn’t the place to skimp on calories.
- Butter–softened. Salted or unsalted will work just fine here. I use salted.
- Lemon juice-an unexpected ingredient but the dash of acid cuts the sweetness from the white chocolate and really balances everything out.
- Oreos-again, whatever flavor you like.
Ultimate Oreo Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- muffin pan
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 24 double stuff chocolate sandwich cookies
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. If using a stand mixer, fit with paddle attachment.
- Prepare a muffin pan by placing cupcake wrappers into each hole. Place a chocolate sandwich cookie into each cupcake wrapper.
- In a large bowl, mix together chocolate cake mix, Greek yogurt, water, and eggs. Beat on high speed for about 2 minutes. The batter will be thick.
- Place a tablespoonful of batter into each prepared cupcake wrapper.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool. I like to remove my cupcakes from the muffin pan and cool them on a cooling rack. I think that it makes the bottoms a bit soggy when you leave them in the pan to cool.
- Frost as desired.
White Chocolate Oreo Cookie Cream Cheese Frosting
- 9 ounces white chocolate*
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 8 ounces 1 cup or 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10-12 double stuff chocolate sandwich cookies coarsely chopped
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl and microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval until chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool for 10ish minutes.
- If using a stand mixer, fit with paddle attachment.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Pour in the white chocolate, and beat until smooth. Add in lemon juice and beat to combine. With a large spoon or rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate sandwich cookies until they are fairly uniformly distributed (like chocolate chips in cookie dough).
- Spread frosting on cupcakes.
Did you make this recipe? Tag me @bakincareofbusiness on Instagram so I can see what you made!