It’s January, which around these parts, means that it is so cold that to walk to the store you need long underwear, boots, coat, mittens, and a scarf long enough to wind around your entire head. Seriously, though, it was twenty degrees here yesterday and I breathed a sigh of relief for the heat wave.
I have lived in this area for my whole life, but haven’t been a city dweller in quite some time so I am feeling rudely awakened by the inability to acquire some milk without having to risk frostbite to my nose in the process.
Consequently, I have taken to drinking an afternoon cup of coffee. Something warm to take the chill out of my bones. Naturally, something sweet to go with my afternoon coffee was a must. A rich shortbread cookie infused with matcha powder and studded with creamy white chocolate? Yes, that will do the trick.
What is matcha powder?
Basically, matcha powder is green tea leaves that have been ground up into a fine powder. Matcha is grown in many places but Japan is known for it’s matcha. Matcha bushes are covered up for 20 days before the leaves are harvested to increase the plant’s chlorophyll levels to create a more vibrant shade of green. There is a small amount of caffeine in matcha powder but less than a cup of coffee. Matcha is popular in health circles because of it’s concentrated antioxidant properties (you’re consuming the whole leaf rather than what can be steeped out in hot water).
Where can I get matcha powder?
Green Tea and White Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons Matcha powder*
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. If using a stand mixer, fit with paddle attachment.
- Beat butter an sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Mix in match powder and vanilla.
- Mix in flour until just combined. Fold in white chocolate chips.
- Drop by the tablespoonful onto a greased (or parchment covered cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy!
*Post contains affiliate links