Looking for a quick and (relatively) easy Halloween treat? These Jack Skellington chocolate dipped Oreos are just the ticket!Jump to Recipe
I love chocolate dipped store-bought cookies for a variety of reasons. One, they just taste good. But mostly, it’s because if I want to decorate something quick and fun, I don’t have to go to all the effort of making dough, rolling, cutting, chilling, baking, cooling, and then frosting.
I can simply dip some cookies in candy melts, wait 15-20 minutes for them to dry and there I have a nice blank canvas, ready to decorate. All in, these cookies took me less than an hour to make.
Oreos are pretty tiny, so I find choosing a simple pattern is usually best. Jack Skellington is a pretty straightforward, not too scary Halloween decoration.
What you need:
- Oreos-double stuff if you’re like me but any flavor will do
- White melting chocolate-I like to use candy melts because they come in a whole host of different colors and you can buy them at Michaels and Wal-Mart. I actually prefer Girardhelli melting chocolate for flavor, but they only come in chocolate or white, which is fine for this project, but you’ll have to color it for the black. For this project I used Giradhelli white chocolate and Wilton’s Candy Melts for the black. Note: if you plan to color your own, you’ll need to use food coloring designed for chocolate, regular food coloring is water-based and will make the chocolate seize.
- Black melting chocolate-you could use regular melting chocolate if you don’t want to have leftover black melting chocolate for no reason.
- Piping bag or zip lock bag to pipe the eyes, nose, and mouth
- #1 Wilton piping tip-totally optional, but if you have it, I think it makes things just a little easier, you don’t have to be quite so precise when snipping the end off your piping bag.
Why can’t I just use chocolate chips?
Candy melts and other melting chocolate does not have to be tempered. They have vegetable oil instead of cocoa butter and are designed to harden on their own. Using chocolate chips or regular chocolate instead will leave you with a soft, greasy finished product. If you’re looking for it in the store, melting chocolate is sometimes called compound chocolate.
How do I melt chocolate?
Glad you asked! I wrote a whole article about how to melt chocolate in the microwave so you don’t have to hassle with a double boiler. Hint: short intervals, lots of stirring!
Jack Skellington Chocolate Dipped Oreos
- 15 Oreo cookies
- 10 ounces white melting chocolate
- 2 ounces black melting chocolate
- Melt white melting chocolate according to package directions.
- Dip Oreo cookies in white chocolate so the whole cookie is coated in chocolate, set on wax or parchment paper to dry.
- Once cookies are dry, melt black melting chocolate.
- Place black melting chocolate in piping bag fitted with a Wilton #1 tip or a zip lock baggie with just the very end snipped off
- Pipe Jack Skellington faces. Allow to dry. Enjoy!
Looking for other fun Halloween treats? Try these super easy chocolate dipped Mummy Oreos or these Nutter Butter ghosts!
Did you make these Jack Skellington chocolate dipped Oreos? Tag me on instagram @bakincareofbusiness so I can see what you made!
Want to get new recipes straight to your inbox? Sign up for our mailing list here: