Sweet, creamy peanut butter buttercream sandwiched between two classic peanut butter cookies for a decadent peanut butter sandwich cookie, perfect with a glass of milk.Jump to Recipe
How do you make a soft, chewy peanut butter cookie even better? Slather some peanut butter buttercream in the middle. Heaven.
Every time I bring sandwich cookies to a party, they are immediately devoured. Something about adding a little buttercream to a peanut butter cookie takes it from a boring, basic classic to something fancy.
If you’re feeling really sassy, maybe try filling these cookies with plain chocolate buttercream or peanut butter chocolate buttercream or just add a little of your favorite jam on top of the peanut butter filling!
Tips on making sandwich cookies
- Try and make your cookies as similarly sized as possible. This will be both more visually pleasing and your buttercream won’t ooze everywhere.
- Use less buttercream than you want to. We all want a healthy amount of buttercream, otherwise, what’s the point, but keeping it reasonable also prevents your buttercream from oozing everywhere.
- Use an offset spatula or piping bag to fill the cookies. Both these tools help keep everything neat and tidy
- Stay away from the edges of your cookie when filling. Because you put the top cookie onto the bottom and squish together, leaving a little room helps prevent oozing.
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- Melt butter, shortening, and peanut butter together in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in brown and white sugar. Add egg and vanilla, stir to combine. Sprinkle in baking soda. Stir in flour a little at a time until a thick dough is formed.
- Scoop even sized teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. You want a soft cookie with just a hint of crispiness around the edges.
Peanut Butter Buttercream
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter regular, not natural
- 8 cups powdered sugar (1-2 pound bag)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- If using a stand mixer, fit with paddle attachment. Beat together butter and peanut butter. Stop mixer and scrape down sides.
- Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
- Slowly (and I cannot stress that enough) pour in powdered sugar. If the mixture is getting too thick as you’re adding the powdered sugar, stop mixer and scrape down the sides. Add 2 tablespoons of water and beat to combine.
- Once all the powdered sugar is in, evaluate your consistency. For piping Wilton 1M swirls, I like my frosting to be easily stirrable but have my spatula still stand up in the frosting. If your frosting is too thick, you can add in more water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.