Hand pies-the cupcake of the pie world. Easy, portable apple hand pies made with store bought crust (to make it easy) and sweet homemade apple filling!Jump to Recipe
What is a hand pie?
I’m glad you asked. Quite simply, it’s a pie you can carry in your hand (duh). Sometimes known as turnovers, they are a pastry crust with pie filling in the middle, but small and portable.
Apple Hand Pies
- 2 Granny Smith Apples large
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 box pie crust
- dab of butter
- Peel and dice the apples. Mix with lemon juice, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, and cloves. Allow to sit at least 30 minutes or covered overnight.
- Unroll the pie crust. Using a round (or really and shape you desircookie cutter, cut out an even number of circles. I found that without re-rolling the dough, I was able to get 8 circles out of each piece of crust.
- Spoon a tablespoon of filling onto half of the crust circles, leaving a little room all the way around the edge. Brush a bit of beaten egg around the edge of the circle. Lay the other circle on top of the filing. Using a fork, press around the edges of the pie, sealing it. Brush additional egg wash over the top crust. Poke a few steam vents.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.