These easy caramel swirl chocolate chunk brownies are the perfect thing to satisfy your sweet tooth! Gooey caramel swirled into rich chocolate brownies studded with chunks of chocolate. Recipe simplified by using box mix brownies and store bought caramels.Jump to Recipe
Much of the time, I am all about “from scratch” recipes. I think, generally speaking, they taste better and once you have a basic understanding of baking, from scratch is just as easy as using a box mix-after all, you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry.
There are a few exceptions to this rule. I typically make my cakes from a mix that I’ve doctored a bit and in the last couple years, I’ve started making brownies from a mix.
Why? Quite frankly, it’s easy and quick. I can stir up a pan of box mix brownies, throw in a handful of chocolate chips and 30 minutes later I have a dessert to take to taco Tuesday where I bring home an empty pan.
Taking a few additional minutes to make this quick caramel sauce (using store bought caramels) to swirl into your brownie batter just makes them that much more amazing. The biggest pain about the whole situation is unwrapping all those dang caramels! (This is a good job for small children or unsuspecting boyfriends…)
Easy Caramel Swirl Chocolate Chunk Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix use a mix intended for a 9×13″ pan
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 package caramels about 36 caramels, unwrapped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl, stir together brownie mix, water, vegetable oil and water until all the brownie mix is stirred in.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- In a medium saucepan place the unwrapped caramels and heavy cream.
- Pour brownie batter into greased 9 x 13 inch cake pan. (Or a 10 x 10).
- Stir over medium heat until caramels are melted. Be sure to stir constantly and softly so that the caramel doesn’t burn. You’ll know if you burn the caramel. It stinks.
- Pour the melted caramel sauce over the brownie batter. Using a rubber spatula, swirl the caramel into the brownie batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out mostly clean.
To make things a little easier in the kitchen, I’ve created a handy printable conversion chart (cause honestly, who can remember how many teaspoons are in a tablespoon?). Sign up below and I’ll send it to you!