These little guys beg the age old question: when do you call it a muffin and when do you call it a cupcake? They are packed with whole wheat flour and no frosting so I believe they sit firmly on the side of muffin, but Martha Stewart disagrees (maybe it’s all the sugar??)
At any rate, these whole grain cuties will satisfy your sweet tooth without feeling like you ate 3 days worth of butter. Not that I am opposed to copious butter usage, but you know, sometimes something lighter for breakfast/snacking is what your looking for.
Whole Wheat Blackberry Mini Muffins
adapted from Martha Stewart Cupcakes
Servings 20 muffins
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour I used white whole wheat
- 1/4 cup masa corn flour (or finely ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon powdered buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 container blackberries
- 1-2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- While the butter is melting, stir together whole wheat flour, corn flour, baking powder, and powdered butter milk in a large mixing bowl. Add in the butter, milk and egg. Stir until just combined, the batter will be thick.
- Line a mini muffin pan with mini muffin wrappers or grease the pan.
- Scoop 1 teaspoon batter into each muffin wrapper. Press one blackberry into the top of each muffin. Sprinkle raw sugar over the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 375 degrees. Allow to cool and enjoy!