Soft and chewy peanut butter cookies studded with peanut butter chips for extra peanut butter flavor. Perfect when dunked in a tall glass of milk!
I used to make these cookies so often when I was in high school that I had the recipe memorized. They are whipped up in one bowl in about 15 minutes. No mixer required. No chilling time required. You can go from itching for some cookies to eating cookies in about 45 minutes. Less if you’re fine with eating cookies that are slightly too hot straight off the pan. Which of course I am.
Can I use crunchy peanut butter?
Sure. If chunky peanut butter floats your boat, by all means use it. Use it exactly like you would the smooth. Just be aware that you will have little peanut chunks in the cookie.
Can I use natural peanut butter?
No. Natural peanut butter is made from just ground peanuts. There is no added hydrogenated oil. There is (typically) no added salt. There is no added sugar. Now, for general eating, natural is probably the way to go, but for our cookies, we need the fat and the salt and the sugar to make it taste super good.
Peanut Butter Cookies:
- 1/2cuppeanut buttersmooth
- 1/2cupbrown sugar
- 1/2cupgranulated sugar
- 1/2tspbaking soda
- 1 1/4cupsflour
- 1 1/2cupspeanut butter chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment or spray with cooking spray.
- Melt together the shortening, butter, and peanut butter
- Mix in sugars, egg, baking soda and vanilla.
- Add the flour, but pay attention, the dough will tell you how much flour you need. Sometimes only 1 cup is needed.
- Fold in peanut butter chips.
- Scoop in even spoonfuls onto cookie sheet and smash in a criss cross pattern with a fork.
- Bake 8-11 minutes at 350 degrees.
I find peanut butter cookies delightful dunked in a tall glass of milk. But these cookies are also the base for my peanut butter pizza and the outside shell to these peanut butter sandwich cookies. There isn’t much they can’t do. I’ve even baked the dough into a pie shell and used it as a crust for peanut butter pie!