A brilliant foodie cousin of mine gave me the idea for this ice cream and a sweet aunt whose favorite cake is pineapple upside down cake gave me the reason to try it.
I love it because it’s a Philadelphia style ice cream (read: easy) but had great depth of flavor because of the brown sugar. And I love me any ice cream that has mix ins! Maybe the only thing I would try differently next time is to roast the pineapple prior to mixing it in to add even more flavor.
Pineapple Upside Down Ice Cream
- Ice cream maker
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 ounce can pineapple tidbits drained
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries diced fine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour 1 cup of cream into a medium sauce pan. Add sugar. Heat over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, stir together milk, remaining cream and vanilla extract. Add in warm cream and sugar mixture. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the cream mixture. Pop in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Churn according to your ice cream makers directions. In the last 5 minutes of churning add in pineapple and cherries. Move ice cream to a freezer safe container and freeze. Enjoy!