How did it get to be the fourth already? I feel like I am just getting used to this warm weather and now we are partway through the summer. I know it’s late notice, but here is a quick no bake pie to take to your BBQ tonight. Or just to eat yourself 🙂 You can make this with store bought lemon curd to make it even easier, the store I was at did not have any, so I whipped up some homemade lemon curd.
Piping The Stars:
To pipe the stars, I used a Wilton 1M tip which is a large star tip. If you don’t have a star tip, you can just fill a piping bag or a zip-lock baggie and snip the end off. You’ll have dots instead of stars between your fruit, but I promise it will still look lovely.
You can find out how to fill a piping bag here.
If you don’t want to mess with a piping bag at all (cause it’s summer and this is supposed to be a low maintenance pie…), just use a spatula and spread the remaining Cool Whip on the pie. Then put the fruit on the pie, leaving some space for the white “stripes”
4th of July Lemon Pie
- Wilton 1M star tip
- 1- 9 inch pie shell I bought a frozen one and baked according to package directions
- 2 cups lemon curd
- 1- 8 ounce container Cool Whip
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- Bake pie shell according to package directions.
- If you are making your own lemon curd, do that 2 hours ahead and refrigerate. I was running tight on time so I froze the curd for 10 minutes and then put it in the fridge for an hour.
- Reserve 1/2 cup Cool Whip for stars.
- Fold lemon curd and Cool Whip together. Smooth into pie shell.
- Decorate the top with blueberries, raspberries and Cool Whip stars (I used the Wilton 1M Tip for the stars).
- Mesh strainer
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 full eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups lemon juice I like to use Real Lemon bottled lemon juice because I am lazy and don’t like to squeeze lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- In a medium large saucepan mix together sugar and egg yolks.
- Add in lemon juice and cook over medium heat until thick and coats the back of the spoon. Do not let it boil if you can help it, it will make the eggs in the curd curdle.
- Remove from heat.
- Strain the curd through a mesh strainer.
- Stir in vanilla and lemon zest.
- Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the curd. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.